Historical Markers

*Please click the name of the marker for additional information and photos

A&M – G.I.C. – Describes the creation of the Sixth District Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1908 along with its reorganization as Georgia Industrial College in 1930. Located on College Drive near Gordon road in front of Alumni Hall.

Barnesville Blues – Dedicated to those who served with the Barnesville Blues (Co. B – 121st Infantry). Located on Thomaston Street, 0.1 miles north of Holmes Street. Presented in 1988.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 3.157′ N, 84° 9.368′ W

Confederate Cemetery – Marks the location of 100 unknown Confederate soldiers. Located in Milner on Lawrence Road near Liberty Hill Road. Erected in 1955.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 7.082′ N, 84° 10.635′ W

Confederate Hospital – Denotes the location of one of Milner’s temporary Confederate Hospitals. The hospital served soldiers wounded in the Battles of Atlanta and Jonesboro in 1864. Located on Main Street, 0.2  miles north of Liberty Hill Road. Erected in 1955.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 7.259′ N, 84° 11.752′ W

Confederate Hospitals – Denotes all of the hospitals located in Barnesville in July 1864 along with the surgeons who worked in each. Located in downtown Barnesville at the intersection of Mill Street and Market Street. Erected in 1957.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 3.234′ N, 84° 9.329′ W

Federals at Barnesville – Denotes Wilson’s Federal Cavalry moving towards Macon in 1865 and engaging with a small Confederate force known as “The Dixie Rangers.” Located at the intersection of Grove Street and Akins Street. Erected in 1957.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 3.784′ N, 84° 9.891′ W

Gachet Home – Marks the site of the historic Gachet home, once visited by General Marquis de LaFayette in 1825. Located at the intersection of Georgia Route 18 and Five Points Road (on the right). Erected in 1954.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 3.673′ N, 84° 12.505′ W

Goggans, Georgia – Denotes the establishment of the Goggans community. Located on Johnstonville Road, 0.1 miles west of Farm Road.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 4.573′ N, 84° 5.603′ W

Gordon Military College – Honoring the history of Gordon Military College and what is now Gordon State College. Located on College Drive in front of Alumni Hall. Erected in 1956.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 2.79′ N, 84° 9.182′ W

Johnstonville-1821 – Denotes the establishment of Johnstonville in 1821. Located at the intersection of Johnstonville Road and Van Buren Road. Erected in 1954.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 5.345′ N, 84° 4.456′ W

Johnstonville Historic District (Johnstonville Community Clubhouse) – Denotes the establishment of the Johnstonville School and later, the Johnstonville Community Clubhouse. Located at the intersection of Johnstonville Road and Van Buren Road.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 5.332′ N, 84° 4.474′ W

Lamar County – Honoring the creation of Lamar County by the State Assembly on August 17, 1920. Located on Thomaston Street, 0.1 miles north of Holmes Street. Erected in 1955.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 3.158′ N, 84° 9.365′ W 

Lamar Electric Membership Corporation – Dedicated in 1938 by President Franklin Roosevelt, the marker was rededicated in 1988 to recognize those that served on the board. Located on U.S. Hwy 341 near Abbott Road.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 0.837′ N, 84° 7.76′ W

Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Incorporating Board of Directors – Honors the transformation of the Lamar Electric Membership Corporation to “Southern Rivers Energy,” along with naming those serving on the board. Located on U.S. Hwy 341, 0.2. miles south of Abbott Road. Erected in 2005.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 0.87′ N, 84° 7.771′ W

Roosevelt’s Barnesville Speech – Denotes a speech given at Gordon Military College in 1938 by President Franklin Roosevelt to a crowd of nearly 50,000 people. Located at the intersection of College Drive and Summersfield Drive. Erected in 2009.
GPS Coordinates: 33° 2.932′ N, 84° 9.2′ W