Drugs Don't Work Program
Drugs Don't Work Program
Drug use in your business costs money, customers, and lost productivity! To obtain drug-free workplace certification and qualify for the 7.5% discount on your workers’ compensation premiums, you must complete the following steps:
Drugs Don’t Work Simplified Check List:
- Substance Abuse Policies: Develop written policies and provide to employees. The Barnesville-Lamar County Chamber of Commerce can help you develop a legally sound policy covering all requirements.
- Drug Testing: Not all employees are required to be tested, and while random drug testing is suggested, pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, and post-accident testing are required; a list of certified testing providers is available upon request.
- Employee Education: A monthly newsletter in English and Spanish is provided and is equal to the required two hours of training annually.
- Supervisor Education: The program provides newsletters to distribute to supervisors for one hour of training; the balance of required annual training can be accomplished by a drug awareness trainer.
- Treatment Services: Post the provided referral list where it is visible to all employees.
- Submit your application annually to the State Board of Worker’s Compensation for certification.
7.5%* Discount on Workers’ Comp Premiums
The Barnesville-Lamar County Chamber provides the Drugs Don’t Work program at no cost to our members. We will provide the tools to empower business owners to maintain a drug-free workplace. Enrollment and certification through the Drugs Don’t Work program can also help lower workers’ compensation premiums.
Think drugs in Georgia don’t affect you as a business executive? You might want to think again. Consider these facts*:
- Substance abusers file 5 times more workers’ comp claims
- 70% of adult drug users are employed
On the flip side, having a drug-free workplace helps:
- Reduce medical costs and lost productivity
- Lower employee turnover and reduce absenteeism
- Protect loyal employees
Don't hesitate to contact Melissa Lee, your certified DDW Coordinator at the chamber office; for more information, contact Melissa Lee at 404-733-7034 or email Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*7.5% Discount is available on Worker’s Comp Insurance Premiums to all certified Drug Free Workplaces that purchase a premium; if you are self-insured, the 7.5% is from your state assessment fee.
**Source: ‘Working Partners’, National Conference Proceedings Report: US Dept. of Labor, the Small Business Administration, and the Office of National Drug Control Policy.
The Chamber has been an Accredited Member of the Better Business Bureau since 2004.